Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week 15

Well, a "blizzard" of a week was in store for us!  After postponing the install last week, I arrived home on Monday to find our cabinets were well under way -
after a few days of furious work - they're in! 
 
we've ordered the counter tops
 
these are the mud cabinets installed down stairs -- a few little things remain from the cabinet company, the hooks for these cabinets were forgotten and our hardwood doors for the family room need to be returned (we had them stained to match the kitchen cabinets).
The shutters were installed, these are the living room shutters (hadn't intended to do this, but the cleaners ruined our drapes when I took them in to be cleaned -- oops!)
the family room shutters
Jason (the builder) returned to finish the soffit/facia - it looks SO good - and complete - so complete now that he loaded up ALL of his things and drove away.  I wanted to cry.  I am so grateful for him and the way he has handled our reconstruction, thank you SO much Jason & Island Construction.  The remaining items are all sub'd out, so he'll just be back to oversee those items (the garage door, the wrought iron, rain gutters and finish plumbing/electrical).  The ceiling insulation guys finally made - JUST in the nick of time because as you can tell from the pictures, we have had 3 straight days of SNOW.  It just keeps coming and coming and coming - but I have to admit, it is a beautiful sight and since I can now drive right in to my (doorless) garage, I don't even care anymore!
 
 Can you believe how much snow????
  
Don't mean to brag, BUT, through all of this, not a lick of snow on our big, wonderful, front porch (a newbie for us)
With the house nearing completion, we were brave and had the little girls up for a spell.  It was so good to have them in our home again - and they were excited to explore and experiment.  We also decorated giant gingerbread boys or girls 
 
With the cabinets installed, I have started moving in to them and out of ALL the boxes.  This included my China - from the crates stored deep in the basement into the new dining room cabinets (in hopes of using it on a more frequent basis).  As soon as I opened the crate and held a plate in my hand I was transported back to a time YEARS ago, with my mother.  Looking at that plate in my hand, all I could think of was her.  I was flooded with memories, we picked this china out together and I remember her council in helping me try to be wise and practical with this big choice as I was still in High School.  She was pleased with my decision and loved helping me pick out the necessary accessory pieces as well, you know - the ones I would/should need like a HUGE turkey platter and service for 12!  I think she was more excited than I was. I received coordinating napkins, table cloths, etc. for birthday/Christmas gifts to complete everything.  What sweet memories filled my heart, I was not expecting these emotions, but there they were.   I love and MISS her, my sweet angel mother. I'll probably be using my china more....a lot more!
Not much else going on at our home next week - well, hopefully a garage door!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I love it and can't wait to see it in person. I think it was a good mistake that the cleaners ruined your drapes. I love the shutters:)

Mom Moose said...

It's sooo exciting!!! & I've always loved your china, too!